Car reviews - Porsche - 911 - Carrera cabriolet
Porsche's 997-series 911 Cabriolet proves it's no longer sacrilege to lift the lid
31 Aug 2005
THE 911 Cabriolet is generally seen as the car you have if you don’t really want a true Porsche. The extra weight, the loss of purity of line and the reduced torsional strength all detract from the basic 911 essence. Why would you sacrifice handling, body rigidity and performance when surely performance is what a Porsche is all about? Well, maybe it’s time to think again. The latest 997 version of the 911 Cabriolet is, once again, heavier than the equivalent coupe, but you could never say it lacked performance or - with a body that’s more rigid than its already solid predecessor - handling. Zero to 100km/h is an ego-saving 5.2 seconds and, with the top down – an action that can be performed at speeds up to 50km/h - no Porsche ever sounded better when being accelerated through a steep-sided road cutting.
The Road to Recovery podcast series
Model release date: 1 May 2005 to 1 August 2008
996 911 Carrera CabrioletReleased:
April 2005Family Tree: 911
Porsche's previous-generation 996-series 911 coupe went on sale Down Under in January 1998, with the Cabriolet version appearing here in July. Both featured Porsche's first liquid-cooled boxer engine, in this case a 3.4-litre iteration offering 221kW/350Nm. Both 996 coupe and cabrio were facelifted for MY2002, arriving here in August 2001 with a larger 3.6-litre boxer with 235kW/370Nm. Pricing rose from $199,900 to $202,000.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new 911
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Carrera 4 AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4 AWD Coupe
Carrera 4 GTS
Carrera 4S AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4S AWD Coupe
Carrera S cabriolet
Carrera S Coupe
Targa 4 GTS
Turbo S Exclusive
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.