Car reviews - Porsche - 911 - GT3 coupe
Porsche's track 911 in civvies, the GT3, is ready to rev in Australia
9 Nov 2009
THE first examples of Porsche’s upgraded 911 GT3 coupe have arrived in Australia, which has long been one of the major destinations for Porsche’s race-ready road car, ahead of first customer deliveries in January.
About 20 Australians have already put up their hands for the latest-generation GT3, up to 90 of which have been earmarked for local roads from a limited two-year production run, despite the fact Porsche has confirmed $25,000-higher indicative pricing of around $282,000.
Powered by a bigger and more powerful 3.8-litre flat six that eschews the direct-injection technology seen on other facelifted 911s, the new engine offers a meatier torque delivery and quicker 4.1-second 0-100km/h acceleration by being the first Porsche flat six to feature VarioCam exhaust valve actuation as well as variable intake valve timing.
The newest GT3 also comes with a new bodykit, new 19-inch alloys with racecar-style single wheel nuts, stability control for the first time and more luxury features than ever, while GT3 firsts include the option of a 30mm front-end lift system and active engine mounts.
Model release date: 1 November 2009 to 19 January 2038
Porsche 911 GT3Released:
November 2009Family Tree: 911
PORSCHE'S sixth-generation (997-series) 911 GT3 was quicker, faster and cheaper than the brilliant 996-series it replaced. The limited-production version of Porsche's latest road-ready racecar packed a 305kW 3.6-litre naturally-aspirated flat six that set a new specific power output (of 84.7kW per litre) for "road-legal production sports cars". Only only one-tenth slower than the day's 911 Turbo, the 997 GT3 sprinted to 100km/h in just over four seconds, but despite its motorsport credentials only half of all 997 GT3s sold were Clubsport versions fitted with the no-cost options of a race-ready rollcage and driver's harness - down from 80 per cent with the 996.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new 911
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Carrera 4 AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4 AWD Coupe
Carrera 4 GTS
Carrera 4S AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4S AWD Coupe
Carrera S cabriolet
Carrera S Coupe
Targa 4 GTS
Turbo S Exclusive
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.