Car reviews - Porsche - 911 - Carrera coupe range
The brilliant new Porsche 911 coupe has been improved in almost every area
22 Feb 2012
By MIKE COSTELLO
NOW ONLY in its third all-new iteration since 1963, the 911 faces a bright future by achieving a barely believable quinella of better performance, improved driveability, falling fuel consumption, a bigger body, and reduced weight.
The result, predictably enough, is phenomenal, sending the iconic Porsche soaring into the supercar stratosphere with utter insouciance.
But prices have also jumped, while something magical may have also been misplaced…
Model release date: 1 February 2012 to 1 January 2016
997 Series II 911 CarreraReleased:
February 2012Family Tree: 911
MORE than just a facelift of the 2004-era 997 – itself a rebodied version of the radically modernised and watercooled 996 – the Series II introduced all-new watercooled direct-injection flat-six cylinder petrol engines that dramatically increased efficiency and performance.
This was especially obvious when mated to the all-new Porsche PDK seven-speed dual-clutch automated gearbox, available for extra cost over the standard six-speed manual, and the long-overdue replacement for the outmoded five-speed Tiptronic automatic transmission.
The base Coupe, Cabriolet and new Targa variations used a 254kW/390Nm 3.6-litre unit, but the majority of buyers stumped up for the Carrera S model’s 283kW/420Nm 3.8-litre engine, that pushed the 911 right into supercar territory as far as performance was concerned.
Like before, all-wheel drive versions were also available (known as the Carrera 4). Among the limited editions based on the Carrera were the 2011 Black Edition (based on the entry-level car) as well as the 300kW/420Nm GTS.
Share with your friends
Enquire on or Test Drive a New 911
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Carrera 4 AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4 AWD Coupe
Carrera 4 GTS
Carrera 4S AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4S AWD Coupe
Carrera S cabriolet
Carrera S Coupe
Targa 4 GTS
Turbo S Exclusive
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.