Car reviews - Porsche - 911 - Turbo coupe
Porsche improves on perfection with a 911 Turbo that's even more flexible, accessible
18 Aug 2006
PORSCHE has done it again! The combination of brutal acceleration, limpet-like grip and enough top-of-the-class performance figures to win any garage bench race hands down made the current 911 Turbo the greatest and most popular Zuffenhausen flagship ever. Now, Porsche improves on perfection with a model that's not only larger, quicker and faster, but lighter, more efficient and cheaper to service. A more effective all-wheel drive system and even greater driveability make the new 911 Turbo's benchmark performance even easier for mere mortals to access. The fact the auto is quicker than the manual for the first time, and that either version is quick enough to see off the best supercars from BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari to 200km/h, is simply icing on Porsche's delectable new cake.
Model release date: 1 August 2006 to 1 August 2008
Porsche 911 Turbo coupeReleased:
August 2006Family Tree: 911
Porsche's first liquid-cooled 911, the 996-series, provided the basis for the sports car maker's most popular Turbo ever. Some said the modern new shape, lack of (air-cooled) engine noise and more forgiving handling provided less visceral appeal than previous rear-engined 911 flagships, a line that stretches back 32 years. But with 309kW and 560Nm of torque on tap from its 3.6-litre twin-turbo flat six and a viscous-coupled all-wheel drive system transmitting it effectively to the road, it was nothing short of scintillating. Pricing started at $298,800 when launched, rising to $308,900 by the end of its six-year reign as the world's most accessible supercar.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new 911
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Carrera 4 AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4 AWD Coupe
Carrera 4 GTS
Carrera 4S AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4S AWD Coupe
Carrera S cabriolet
Carrera S Coupe
Targa 4 GTS
Turbo S Exclusive
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.