Car reviews - Porsche - 911 - Cabriolet
Drop-top Porsche still packs a punch.
31 May 2012
PORSCHE introduced its all-new 991-series Carrera Cabriolet to the Australian market just two months after the Coupe that introduced us to the larger platform and a new 3.4-litre entry-level engine, which is just as potent as the previous 3.6-litre flat-six but more efficient.
The fabric roof is stretched over four large magnesium panels that provide an identical form to the coupe’s roof for the first time, even extending all the way down to the pop-up spoiler to ensure a join-free profile.
A clever lightweight folding system ensures the soft-top can be retracted in just 13 seconds, even up to 50km/h.
Porsche reckons the new Cabriolet is so good it will account for up to 50 per cent of 911 sales – up from 30 per cent – and our track-only introduction shows why they are so confident.
Model release date: 1 April 2012 to 1 January 2016
January 2012Family Tree: 911
THE 997-series 911 Cabriolet arrived in April 2005, six months after the coupe, and was offered in two specifications – the 3.6-litre Carrera and 3.8-litre Carrera S.Get the full story: Porsche 911 is transformed with a slick, new auto transmission, but at a price
The 3.6-litre six-cylinder ‘boxer’ engine produced 239kW of power and 370Nm of torque while the 3.8-litre flat-six produced 261kW and 400Nm, with both driving through a standard six-speed manual gearbox or five-speed Tiptronic auto.
All-wheel-drive Carrera 4 models followed in February 2006.
A major midlife facelift in October 2008 – the same time as the coupe range – saw the adoption of direct-injection engine technology, significant suspension modifications and the introduction of a dual-clutch seven-speed automated gearbox dubbed PDK.
A new 3.6-litre engine was 18cc larger, with an aluminium block, and now produced 254kW and 390Nm.
Porsche also modified the suspension and brakes, with revised springs, dampers and anti-roll bars across the range, while the Cabriolet’s soft-top roof was made of a harder-wearing material.
The Series II was subtly distinguished by redesigned front and rear bumpers, revised headlights incorporating bi-Xenon beams with washers, LED daytime-running lights, and reshaped tail-lights.
Click to share
Enquire on or Test Drive a New 911
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Carrera 4 AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4 AWD Coupe
Carrera 4 GTS
Carrera 4S AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4S AWD Coupe
Carrera S cabriolet
Carrera S Coupe
Targa 4 GTS
Turbo S Exclusive
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.