Car reviews - Toyota - Hilux - SR5 d/cab tdi 4x4 utility
12 Jul 2002
By MARTON PETTENDY
TOYOTA HiLux SR5 4x4 comes with the choice of three engines - the 2.7-litre four-cylinder petrol, 3.0-litre four-cylinder diesel and the 3.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel. The test vehicle ran the turbo-diesel engine, which develops 85kW of power at 3500rpm and 315Nm of torque at a low 2000rpm. The engine operates two valves per cylinder, driven by a single overhead camshaft, and uses indirect-type fuel injection. While some of Toyota's competitors have moved to introduce multi-valve engines and intercoolers to boost engine output figures, none, as yet, can match this basic four-cylinder turbo-diesel for torque - although the Nissan Navara comes as close as you can get at 314Nm. The engine revs freely to 4000rpm before approaching the redline end of the tachometer but gearshifts are generally made between 2000rpm and 3000rpm, which is lower than the smaller capacity diesels as the 3.0-litre engine produces the required torque and power for less effort. The engine rattles a little down low but once it begins to spin it smoothes out and rewards its driver with adequate acceleration, pulling out of corners with ease and keeping pace with the traffic. The turbine shaft is oil cooled from the engine reservoir and care must be taken - to avoid turbine heat stress - not to shut the engine down too quickly after periods of driving with high engine load. The engine is smooth and responsive and can return an average fuel economy figure of about 11.5L/100km. No official fuel economy figures are available for light commercial diesels, but they are generally the most economical form of engine and are best suited to towing and carrying heavy loads due to their high torque output or pulling power. Toyota recommends service intervals of 10,000km.
Did you know?Turbocharging is old technology and achieved by using exhaust gas to drive a turbine compressor that pumps air into the engine at greater atmospheric pressure than a normally aspirated engine. The turbo engine therefore produces increased combustion, resulting in greater power and torque over non-turbo engines
Share with your friends
Enquire on or Test Drive a New Hilux
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Hi-Rider SR5 Double Cab Pickup
SR 2.8TD Hi-Rider Double Cab Pick-Up
SR 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Chas
SR 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
SR 4X4 2.8TD Single Cab Chas
SR Extra Cab Chas
SR5 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
SR5 Extra Cab Pickup
Workmate 2.4TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 2.4TD Single Cab Chas
Workmate 2.7 Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 2.7 Single Cab Chas
Workmate 4X4 2.4TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 4X4 2.4TD Single Cab Chas
Workmate Double Cab Chas
Workmate Double Cab Hi-Rider Pick-Up
Workmate Extra Cab Chas
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.