Car reviews - Toyota - Hilux - utility range
Venerable Toyota HiLux is as rugged as ever, but safety shortcomings hurt its cause
7 Sep 2011
By MIKE COSTELLO
A FACELIFT for Toyota’s one-tonne king, the HiLux, addresses some of the shortcomings of Australia’s number one light truck, just in the nick of time before several rivals launch all-new challengers.
The fundamentals of the ‘unbreakable’ ute all remain unmolested, but Toyota has expanded its diesel offerings and added features such as ABS and Bluetooth on lower models and sat-nav on upper specs.
Best of all, Toyota has sharpened its pencil on value, especially on 4x4 variants, adding features and cutting prices on several of the 35 HiLux models.
It will be interesting to see if Toyota has done enough to repel boarders from Fortress HiLux, the most admired truck in the land with – until now – an almost impregnable sales position.
Model release date: 1 September 2011 to 1 August 2015
HiLux ute rangeReleased:
August 2011Family Tree: Hilux
THE seventh-generation HiLux lifted the light-truck benchmark when it arrived in 2005, bigger than the previous generation and better than anything else on the market.
Offering more models (30) and a stiffer ladder-frame body, the HiLux introduced a body new styling in three body styles – Single Cab, Xtra Cab and Double Cab (each in cab-chassis or pick-up) – with all-new engines in 2.7-litre four-cylinder petrol, 3.0-litre turbo-diesel and 4.0-litre V6 choices.
The HiLux was more refined and more powerful than previous generations, and importantly offered greater value.
In 2008, Toyota introduced a 225kW super-charged V6 TRD HiLux that offered sports sedan performance in a ute body.
Share with your friends
Enquire on or Test Drive a New Hilux
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Hi-Rider SR5 Double Cab Pickup
SR 2.8TD Hi-Rider Double Cab Pick-Up
SR 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Chas
SR 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
SR 4X4 2.8TD Single Cab Chas
SR Extra Cab Chas
SR5 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
SR5 Extra Cab Pickup
Workmate 2.4TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 2.4TD Single Cab Chas
Workmate 2.7 Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 2.7 Single Cab Chas
Workmate 4X4 2.4TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 4X4 2.4TD Single Cab Chas
Workmate Double Cab Chas
Workmate Double Cab Hi-Rider Pick-Up
Workmate Extra Cab Chas
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.