Car reviews - Toyota - Hilux - SR5 Diesel Xtra Cab
Reigning champ Toyota HiLux takes on the young bulls in the battle of the utes
18 Jun 2010
FOR decades the Toyota HiLux has pretty much held the Australian 4x4 pick-up market firmly in its grip, thanks to a combination of style, reputation and the company’s titanic marketing muscle. Five years on from the launch of the current seventh-generation series, how does the Toyota one-tonne stalwart stack-up against a host of newer rivals? We assess the SR5 Xtra Cab 3.0 TD to find out.
Model release date: 1 October 2009 to 1 October 2010
150 Series HiLuxReleased:
October 2009Family Tree: Hilux
SEVEN generations in, and the HiLux matured into a stylish and relatively car-like one-tonne pick-up with more space, refinement, safety and performance than before – but with no loss of the go-anywhere strength, reliability and durability that the range is famous for globally. More than 30 combinations of body styles, drivetrains and powertrains were made available, with the SR5 Xtra Cab two-door ute providing a balance between seating (it could transport four people) and cargo-hauling abilities, in a youth-orientated sporty and well-specified package. Initially, the model was offered with either a five-speed manual-only 120kW/343Nm 3.0-litre TD four-cylinder turbo-diesel or 175kW/376Nm 4.0-litre V6 petrol, but the more popular TD engine’s output gained 6kW from October 2006. More standard features were added in late 2007 and again in late 2008, but to date no auto SR5 Xtra Cab has been introduced.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new Hilux
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Hi-Rider SR5 Double Cab Pickup
Rogue 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Rugged 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Rugged X 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
SR 2.8TD Hi-Rider Double Cab Pick-Up
SR 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Chas
SR 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
SR 4X4 2.8TD Single Cab Chas
SR Extra Cab Chas
SR5 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
SR5 Extra Cab Pickup
Workmate 2.4TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 2.4TD Single Cab Chas
Workmate 2.7 Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 2.7 Single Cab Chas
Workmate 4X4 2.4TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 4X4 2.4TD Single Cab Chas
Workmate Double Cab Chas
Workmate Double Cab Hi-Rider Pick-Up
Workmate Extra Cab Chas
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.