Car reviews - Toyota - Hilux - SR5 d/cab tdi 4x4 utility
12 Jul 2002
TOYOTA fitted the R151F five-speed gearbox to the HiLux SR5 turbo-diesel. This gearbox is set up with different gear ratios to the standard diesel and petrol 4x4 models, to better match engine characteristics and final drive ratio at the differentials. The box is smooth and positive with little vibration through the stick, but the reach into fifth is a bit too long and can cramp your left leg when using the clutch. The HiLux is a part-time 4WD and Toyota uses a part electric, part manual shift aluminium housing transfer case to drive the rear and front differentials with gearing for 2High, 4High, Neutral and 4Low. Shifting in and out of 4H can be done on the move at up to 100km/h at the push of a button. The gearbox and transfer case ratios are well spaced and provide a good range of climbing and descending speeds. But the high final drive ratio of the SR5 turbo-diesel means low range has to be selected on sections that the standard HiLux model would handle in H4 first gear - to avoid riding the clutch. Toyota's electric shift button on the transfer case lever means moves between two and four-wheel drive mode do not involve the lever moving, saving space in the cabin - mainly on the passenger side. The only negative with the drivetrain in the HiLux is the vibration through the transfer case lever, which shudders violently at idle and low speeds. Gear ratios are: First - 4.313, Second - 2.330, Third - 1.436, Fourth - 1.000, Fifth - 0.838 and Reverse - 4.220. Final drive ratio is 3.727:1. Gear ratios differ for 4x4 and 4x2 models and automatic transmission is not available in HiLux 4x4 models.
The Road to Recovery podcast series
Did you know?An indicator lamp on the instrument panel glows green to show when the vehicle is in four-wheel drive mode. This is helpful as the transfer case lever does not move position to engage this function and highway driving in this mode can damage the vehicle
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new Hilux
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Hi-Rider SR5 Double Cab Pickup
Rogue 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Rugged 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Rugged X 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
SR 2.8TD Hi-Rider Double Cab Pick-Up
SR 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Chas
SR 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
SR 4X4 2.8TD Single Cab Chas
SR Extra Cab Chas
SR5 4X4 2.8TD Double Cab Pick-Up
SR5 Extra Cab Pickup
Workmate 2.4TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 2.4TD Single Cab Chas
Workmate 2.7 Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 2.7 Single Cab Chas
Workmate 4X4 2.4TD Double Cab Pick-Up
Workmate 4X4 2.4TD Single Cab Chas
Workmate Double Cab Chas
Workmate Double Cab Hi-Rider Pick-Up
Workmate Extra Cab Chas
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.