Car reviews - Jeep - Wrangler - 3.6 petrol range
Decidedly new-school engine does not detract from Jeep Wrangler’s old-school charm
2 Mar 2012
By MIKE COSTELLO
JEEP has installed Chrysler Group’s acclaimed Pentastar 3.6-litre V6 petrol engine into its iconic Wrangler off-roader with the result of significantly improved performance and slightly reduced fuel consumption.
Available with a five-speed automatic transmission or six-speed manual, this high-tech powerplant has occupied the annual Ward’s 10 Best Engines list two years on the trot.
A better engine and transmission combination is always a good thing, so we travelled to Tasmania’s wind-swept King Island on a quest to sample how the extra power, torque and refinement fit into their rough-and-ready Wrangler surroundings on a mixture of bitumen, gravel, sand and rugged coastal tracks.
Model release date: 1 March 2012
Jeep JK WranglerReleased:
currentFamily Tree: Wrangler
THE JK-series Wrangler was released in Australian in 2007, when it introduced the four-door, five-seat long-wheelbase Unlimited body style alongside a comprehensively revised two-door four-seater.
Although retaining the styling cues and proven Jeep formula, the design was subtly changed to bring it into the modern era in terms of chassis, suspension and drivetrains, with big gains in space, performance, safety, refinement and on-road driveability.
In addition to the 3.8-litre V6 petrol, Australia also became one of the world’s first markets to receive a diesel Wrangler, powered by a 2.8-litre four-cylinder unit.
The diesel was upgraded in February 2011 with more power and fuel-saving idle-stop technology on manual variants.
Jeep simultaneously gave the Wrangler a comprehensive interior refresh with a more upmarket look that replaced the utilitarian set-square styling with a chunky, curvaceous but still rugged-looking design featuring silver-coloured highlights, chrome-ringed instruments and fewer areas of exposed metalwork.
Click to share
Enquire on or Test Drive a New Wrangler
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Golden Eagle AWD
Sport Soft Top
Unlimited Freedom AWD
Unlimited Golden Eagle AWD
Unlimited Rubicon Soft Top
Unlimited Sport CRD Soft Top
Unlimited Sport Soft Top
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.