Car reviews - Mercedes-Benz - S-Class - sedan range
Mercedes-Benz boosts its S-class flagship with more features – but at a price
20 Oct 2009
MERCEDES-BENZ is not taking the latest BMW 7 Series and all-new Porsche Panamera threat lying down, electing instead to rejuvenate its four-year old flagship with a minor facelift, more standard features, improved technology and safety and … a price hike! But the outgoing, ninth-generation W221 Mercedes limousine was one of our very favourites, recapturing much of the deep quality feel that made the three-pointed star’s offerings so great a generation ago. Still, the competition is fierce, so does the newest S-class have what it takes to stay on top?
Model release date: 1 October 2009 to 1 February 2011
Mercedes-Benz W221 S-classReleased:
October 2009Family Tree: S-Class
MERCEDES started from scratch with the ninth-generation S-class, creating a larger and more refined vehicle that ticked all the right boxes as far as luxury, driveability, safety and comfort were concerned, and so created a massive standard for rival manufacturers to try and meet. Two wheelbase lengths were used, under a traditional three-box sedan silhouette. Base engine was the S350’s 200kW/350Nm 3.5-litre V6 petrol, followed by the S500’s 285kW/530Nm 5.5-litre V8 petrol. Both drove the rear wheels via Mercedes’ 7G-Tronic seven-speed automatic transmission. More salubrious luxury was provided by the S600L, featuring a 380kW/830Nm 5.5-litre V12 petrol and five-speed auto gearbox combo. AMG models followed, from October 2006 with the 450kW/1000Nm 6.0-litre V12 S65 L AMG featuring a five-speed auto, while the 386kW/630Nm 6.2-litre V8 petrol with 7G-Tronic lobbed in from September 2007. From May 2008 the first S-class diesel arrived in the guise of the 173kW/540Nm 3.0-litre V6 S320 CDI 7G-Tronic, but sales of the latter were slow.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new S-Class
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
S63 AMG LWB
S63 AMG SWB
S65 AMG LWB
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.