Car reviews - Jaguar - XF - 4.2 Premium Luxury sedan
It's thirsty and expensive, but the XF V8 is the most convincing Jaguar in decades
17 Oct 2008
IT IS Year Zero and counting at Jaguar, now under the watchful eye of the sympathetic (and cash-rich) Tata Industries. And what a coup for the Indian conglomerate, as it inherits a truly exhilarating beauty in the shape of the XF. This is the most convincing Jaguar in decades, challenging the likes of the BMW 5 Series like no English car has managed for a long time. Even the rather thirsty and expensive 4.2 V8 Premium Luxury makes for a compelling ownership proposition, and if this is a sign of things to come from Jaguar, then we say bring it on.
Model release date: 1 April 2008 to 1 June 2009
Jaguar S-Type 4.2 MkIIIReleased:
March 2008Family Tree: XF
The S-Type – twinned with an American Lincoln model (LS) – was Ford’s attempt to muscle in on the BMW 5 Series market. Jaguar’s restyled version from 2004 partially solved its exterior design and packaging issues, but the cast was set and the S-Type began its long fade into obscurity. Which is a shame really, since the 2002 chassis overhaul ushered in an excellent driving machine, while the 224kW/420Nm 4.2-litre V8 petrol/six-speed automatic combination provided plenty of smooth and sonorous performance capabilities. The XF, however, takes the best of these and adds real glamour and style to proceedings.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new XF
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.