New models - Citroen - C5 - range
Citroen high-fives all-diesel C5
Citroen announces an all-diesel C5 sedan and wagon range, priced from $50,000
1 Sep 2008
CITROEN Australia has announced an all-diesel engine line-up - and a $50,000 starting price - for the second-generation C5 range that goes on sale this Saturday (September 6).
To be available simultaneously as a five-door wagon (this time dubbed the Tourer, rather than Estate) and in conventional four-door sedan body styles (the outgoing C5 'sedan' was actually a hatchback), the redesigned French mid-sizer is Citroen's most audacious shot yet at Europe's dominant (German) premium models.
The MkII C5 comes with either a 100kW/340Nm 2.0 HDi turbo-diesel four-cylinder or the bahnstorming 150kW/440Nm 2.7-litre Ford-developed twin-turbo diesel V6 that debuted in Citroen's C6 luxury flagship, with which the new C5 (and sister brand Peugeot's 407) shares its underpinnings.
With two body shapes, two diesel engines and two specification levels (Comfort and Exclusive), the all-new C5 is expected to attract almost double the customers its predecessor did from 2001, when it became a staple model within the Citroen Australia stable.
Sales have faded since then and the new C5 range no longer comprises a sub-$40,000 2.0-litre petrol variant, but importer Ateco Automotive says 85 per cent of original C5 sales were diesels, and that the remaining 15 per cent were accounted for by the 3.0 V6 petrol flagship - which the 2.7 HDi replaces.
Prices open at $49,990 for the expected volume-selling C5 2.0 HDi Comfort sedan, the Exclusive grade is priced $5000 higher than the base Comfort level, the wagon bodystyle adds $2750 and the twin-turbo 2.7 V6 carries a further $8000 premium over the 2.0 HDi.
For the first time, six-cylinder power is also available in the C5 wagon. The C5 2.7 V6 HDi Exclusive Tourer gives the C5 range a top-shelf pricetag of $65,740. All new C5s will come as standard with a six-speed automatic transmission.
Stay tuned for the full pricing, equipment and specifications story, plus GoAuto's first Australian drive of the sleek new C5.
The Road to Recovery podcast series
All new models
Motor industry news