Car reviews - Suzuki - Swift - GL 5-dr hatch
Safe, fun, economical and good value, Suzuki's Swift remains a cracking little car
15 Apr 2011
By MIKE COSTELLO
IT MAY look the same, but the fourth-generation Swift is new in all the areas we had hoped for, particularly in terms of space, safety, refinement and comfort. , There is very little that is wrong with this Japanese urban runabout – even the smaller 1.4-litre engine is no problem in most situations.
But don’t just take our word for it, take the GL five-speed manual as tested here for a drive, because we reckon it will make you think twice before buying that Ford Fiesta, Mazda2 or VW Polo.
The Swift is right up there now. Just like the wildly underrated Kizashi, this is one Suzuki we did not want to return in a hurry.
Model release date: 1 February 2011 to 1 June 2017
January 2011Family Tree: Swift
NOTHING short of a revolution, the third-generation Swift ushered in a new engineering-led era for the Japanese company, elevating the light car to near class-leading levels for dynamics, performance and value – a first for Suzuki.
With a fresh, bold appearance and a sporty interior to match, the EZ proved to be an instant, unexpected success, resulting in long waiting lists and frustrated customers – another Suzuki first!
Though other engines and bodystyles were offered abroad, only a single 74kW/133Nm 1.5-litre twin-cam four-cylinder petrol engine was offered on the volume-selling base and S models (GL and GLX in Queensland), mated to a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic gearbox.
From October 2006 a performance version was added – the Swift Sport – delivering a 92kW/148Nm 1.6-litre upgrade, firmer suspension, a racier body kit and a five-speed manual-only transmission to drive the front wheels.
Sales kept steady throughout the life of the car (helped along by a raft of special editions such as the rally-like RE.1 of 2007, RE.2 of ’08 and RE.3 of ’09), with around 65,000 buyers entering Suzuki showrooms by the end of the EZ’s model life in early 2011. Its AZ replacement is an evolution of the series.
Share with your friends
Enquire on or Test Drive a New Swift
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
GL 5D Hatch
GL Navigator Safety Pack
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.