Car reviews - Lexus - GS - Sedan range
New from the ground up, the fourth-generation luxury Lexus GS gets serious
4 Apr 2012
LEXUS says it has changed. While virtues like quality, reliability, unparalleled owner satisfaction, customer care, refinement and luxury remain, every model beginning with the all-new fourth-generation GS just released in Australia will add driving excitement to the mix, while the BMW 5 Series competitor also rights its predecessor’s wrongs with a roomier cabin and larger boot. We’ve always liked the GS in any case, and the styling is certainly different, but we wonder if the Japanese have achieved their objectives with the latest iteration.
Model release date: 1 April 2012 to 1 November 2015
February 2012Family Tree: GS
LEXUS’ third-generation luxury midsized sedan kept the styling cues and proportions of its well-received predecessor, but was a complete redesign inside and out. The base GS300’s 183kW/310Nm 3.0-litre V6 petrol drove the rear wheels via a six-speed automatic sequential gearbox, and represented the mainstay of the range. A 208kW/417Nm 4.3-litre V8 – shared with the LS flagship – was also offered, but that was overshadowed 218kW/368Nm 3.5-litre V6 petrol/electric GS450h hybrid with a CVT transmission that eclipsed the others for performance while bringing palpably better fuel consumption. A 2008 facelift brought minor changes to the series, with the GS430 making way for the 255kW/460Nm 4.6-litre V8 range-topper, boasting more equipment levels and an eight-speed automatic transmission. Unfortunately for Lexus, however, the GS was overlooked by most luxury midsized sedan buyers, on account of its tight rear legroom and smallish boot, which shrunk even more in the otherwise intriguing GS450h Hybrid version. Sales slowed to a trickle, and almost led to Toyota in Japan pulling the plug on the GS series altogether.
Click to share
Enquire on or Test Drive a New GS
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
200t F Sport
300h F Sport
350 F Sport
350 Sports Luxury
450h F Sport
450h Sport Luxury
F Alcantara Trim
F Semi-Aniline Trim
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.