Car reviews - Land Rover - Discovery - 5-dr wagon range
Improved engines, interior and styling make this Disco an impressive proposition
22 Sep 2009
Land Rover’s quicker, more comfortable and slightly more expensive fourth-generation Discovery is a significant upgrade over the outgoing model.
Revisions include two potent new petrol and diesel engines, an upgraded chassis, a reworked interior and a front-end redesign.
The 3.0-litre TDV6 is likely to be the biggest-seller, and it leaves the entry-level 2.7-litre unit behind for performance and economy. The 5.0-litre V8, meanwhile, steps up to the plate as performance king.
Model release date: 1 September 2009 to 1 February 2014
Land Rover DiscoveryReleased:
September 2009Family Tree: Discovery
The Discovery 3 had the on-road abilities of competitors like the BMW X5 while retaining the off-road agility and toughness of its Discovery predecessors.Get the full story: Land Rover launches Discovery 3 Down Under - six months before its official release
, , This was thanks to the unique construction, melding a car-like monocoque bodyshell with a traditional four-wheel drive ladder chassis, which made its predecessor seem positively archaic.
, , Bearing more than the occasional similarity to its big brother Range Rover – think the planted on-road performance, sumptuous and airy cabin and slab-sided proportions - the third-generation Land Rover made for a convincing balancing act.
, , The Disco was launched with three brand-new engine options - a 220kW Jaguar 4.4-litre V8, a 140kW Jaguar 2.7-litre V6 turbo-diesel and a 160kW, 4.0-litre V6 from Ford.
, , Three different trim levels were available – S, SE and HSE – with all engines available in the mid-series SE.
There was no V8 option at the base S level and no petrol V6 in top-tier HSE trim.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new Discovery
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
SD4 HSE AWD
SD4 HSE Luxury AWD
SD4 S AWD
SD4 SE AWD
TD4 HSE AWD
TD4 HSE Luxury AWD
TD4 S AWD
TD4 SE AWD
TD6 HSE AWD
TD6 HSE Luxury AWD
TD6 S AWD
TD6 SE AWD
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.