Car reviews - Honda - Civic - VTi-L sedan
Honda's Civic sedan defies the critics with its value for money and enjoyable ride
29 Jun 2012
HONDA’S small-car stalwart suffered some worrying overseas press leading up to the ninth-generation sedan’s Australian release in February, but after a spell behind the wheel of the keenly priced VTi-L auto we wonder whether some critics need to have their heads checked.
You will struggle to find a better-value quality-built C-segment sedan that is as much fun to steer, easy to resell, or as reliable.
While far from perfect, the Civic shows that the company knows its stuff after 40 years of building the series.
Model release date: 1 February 2012 to 1 April 2016
FD Civic VTiReleased:
January 2012Family Tree: Civic
HONDA scored a smash hit with the Mk8 Civic range, despite the lack of a hatch that was affordable, as both the British-built three-door Type R and five-door Si topped $40,000. , , Very keen pricing that started at under $21,000 for the entry-level VTi helped pull in punters, as did a slickly styled exterior and extrovert cabin presentation. , , Three four-cylinder engines were offered – the 103kW/174Nm 1.8-litre single-cam unit in the VTi and VTi-L, a 114kW/188Nm 2.0-litre twin-cam for the Sport, and a 85kW/170Nm 1.3-litre petrol-electric Hybrid.Get the full story: Honda's Civic has a proud heritage, but can it still cut it against the new breed?
The regular petrol cars came with either a five-speed manual or five-speed automatic gearbox, while the Hybrid employed a continuously variable transmission (CVT).
Only the lack of electronic stability control jarred, a situation only rectified with the 2010 model year facelift.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new Civic
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
VTi-SL Limited Edition
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.