Car reviews - Mazda - BT-50 - utility range
Divisive styling aside, the new Mazda BT-50 has the goods
20 Oct 2011
MAZDA Australia has been selling utes all the way through from 1966 but, while it has since established itself as a sporty, semi-premium brand with an excellent range of cars, the B-Series and later BT-50 utes sat in the shadows.
That all changes with the all-new BT-50, which was developed as part of a joint project led by Ford that also created the Ford Ranger. But Mazda’s ute has its own unique exterior and interior as well as a sportier suspension tune.
The new BT-50 has been designed to look more car-like, the shape certainly is polarising, but can still work hard, with a towing capacity of 3350kg and payload of up to 1271kg.
The Road to Recovery podcast series
Model release date: 1 November 2011 to 1 August 2015
October 2011Family Tree: BT-50
THE BT-50 nameplate was introduced in 2006 but the model was essentially a carryover of the old B-Series Bravo range. It was updated in late 2006.
Available with the choice of two four-cylinder turbo-diesels, a 2.5-litre with 105kW and 330Nm of torque or a 3.0-litre with 115kW and 380Nm, the BT-50 was a fairly basic machine without many of the comfort features available on today’s model, and very few of the safety features.
Still, along with the Ranger, it was known for its relatively good handling.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new BT-50
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
2.2 XT Hi-Rider Single Cab Chas
2.2 XT Single Cab Chas
3.2 GT 4X4 Dual Cab Ute
3.2 XT 4X4 Dual Cab Chas
3.2 XT 4X4 Dual Cab Ute
3.2 XT 4X4 Freestyle Cab Chas
3.2 XT 4X4 Single Cab Chas
3.2 XT Hi-Rider Dual Cab Chas
3.2 XT Hi-Rider Dual Cab Ute
3.2 XT Hi-Rider Freestyle Cab Chas
3.2 XT Hi-Rider Single Cab Chas
3.2 XTR 4X4 Dual Cab Ute
3.2 XTR 4X4 Freestyle Cab Ute
3.2 XTR Hi-Rider Dual Cab Ute
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.