Car reviews - Audi - TT - 2.0 TDI and 1.8 TFSI Coupe
20 Jul 2009
AUSTRALIA’S first ever diesel-powered sports car has landed in the shape of the Audi TT 2.0 TDI quattro.
Priced from $70,900, the 2+2-seater three-door coupe is the latest example of Audi’s desire to eventually introduce TDI turbo-diesel technology in every segment the company is represented in.
Also just launched is a pair of new petrol-powered variants comprising of an entry-level 1.8-litre TFSI four-cylinder front-wheel drive model priced from $64,900, as well as a quattro four-wheel drive version of the popular 2.0 TFSI four-cylinder with the S-tronic dual-clutch transmission costing $76,900.
The latter will also be slotted into the TT Roadster 2.0 TFSI quattro later in the third quarter of this year, commencing at $81,900.
But the big news is the TT diesel, available for now in coupe-only guise.
Driving all four wheels via a rear-mounted Haldex multi-plate clutch is a 2.0-litre common-rail direct-injection twin-cam four-cylinder turbo-diesel delivering 125kW of power at 4200rpm and 350Nm of torque from 1750 to 2500rpm.
The only gearbox on offer for now is a six-speed manual transmission, even though the exact engine is offered with the S-tronic gearbox in other Audi, Volkswagen and Skoda models sold in Australia.
Audi says the TT TDI quattro is its second most economical model on offer here after the environmentally focussed A3 TDIe, returning 5.3 litres per 100km and emitting 139 grams per kilometre of carbon dioxide.
Nevertheless, the 1370kg TT TDI quattro will sprint to 100km/h from standstill in 7.5 seconds, and hit a top speed of 226km/h.
Like all current-model, second-generation TTs, the TDI quattro’s body comprises of 69 per cent aluminium construction, with the remaining 31 per cent being made of steel.
Much of the TT’s platform originates from the fifth-generation Volkswagen Golf architecture, although there are also many components that are unique to the sports car series.
The suspension is MacPherson struts with aluminum lower wishbones up front and a four-link rear end, while the steering is an electromechanical rack and pinion set-up.
Standard features include 17-inch alloy wheels, climate control air-conditioning, Bluetooth telephony, an electronically retractable rear spoiler, leather-trimmed upholstery, a multi-function steering wheel, and a high-output audio system Audi calls Symphony.
Most of these items are also fitted to the base TT 1.8 TFSI coupe, which is luxury tax-exempt.
Sharing the same four-cylinder powerplant found in several other Audis and Skoda cars in Australia, it produces 118kW from 4500 to 6200rpm and 250Nm from 1500 to 4500rpm.
Driving the front wheels via a six-speed manual gearbox (the only one on offer), the 1240kg TT 1.8 TFSI manages the 0-100km/h dash in 7.2 seconds, 226km/h, 6.7L/100km, and 158g/km CO2.
Meanwhile, the 2.0 TFSI quattro with S-tronic kicks out 147kW between 5100 and 6000rpm and 280Nm from 1800 to 5000rpm and hits 100km/h in 6.2 seconds on the way to a 238km/h top speed, yet can sip fuel at a rate of 7.7L/100km while achieving a 181g/km CO2 rating.
Audi is conservative about the TDI quattro’s sales mix, predicting a 15 per cent share of overall TT volume over the next 12 months – the same as the 1.8 TFSI. It expects about 50 per cent of all buyers to choose the various 2.0 TFSI models, while the high-performance TTS should account for about 20 per cent.
Around 500 TT coupes are forecast to sell this year, with the Roadster adding another 100 units to the tally.
The high-performance TT RS is scheduled to land in Australia at the end of 2009.
Whether we see a TDI version of the TT Roadster depends on how well received the diesel coupe is.
“We will see how the coupe performs first,” says Audi Australia marketing boss Immo Buschmann.
Audi released the original TT into Australia in 1999, while the current model followed in 2006.
The Road to Recovery podcast series
All car reviews
Click to share