Car reviews - Volvo - V60 - 5-dr wagon range
Volvo V60 has top-notch safety, cabin, turbo engines, ride, ambience and value
30 Mar 2011
VOLVO is becoming serious about its position as a luxury car player, as the striking V60 demonstrates. Oozing Scandinavian design, cutting-edge safety, sumptuous quality and surprisingly involving dynamics, the Swedish alternative to a BMW 3 Series seemingly has all bases covered. Worryingly for the competition, it then hits a home run with value pricing, complete with a standard specification list that is as long as a Stockholm summer. We believe Volvo has a real hit on its hands. Try before you buy anything else in the $60K chi-chi wagon/SUV/crossover segments.
Model release date: 1 March 2011 to 1 September 2013
May 2004Family Tree: V60
VOLVO says the V60 essentially takes over from the significantly smaller V50, which continues on for now, but that the newcomer is really a resumption of what the Dutch-built V40 represented size-wise. Co-developed with Mitsubishi (though the resulting Carisma version was never sold in Australia), the front-drive V40 was the company’s tilt at the Audi A4 (it was even originally badged the V4 until Volvo was forced to add the ‘0’). Released in the mid-’90s, it found popularity thanks to neat styling, affordable pricing, and a spacious interior – more so than its German sedan contemporaries – but the critics bemoaned its soft dynamics and uninvolving driving experience. Engines for Oz were all petrol, and included a rather breathless 90kW/170Nm 1.8-litre, a 100kW/190Nm 2.0-litre, and a 121kW/240Nm 2.0-litre Turbo for the T4. All employed five-speed gearboxes in manual or auto varieties.
Click to share
Enquire on or Test Drive a New V60
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.