News - Holden
Holden announces jobs losses
About 30 jobs set to go as production is scaled back at Holden’s Elizabeth plant
10 Feb 2015
HOLDEN has blamed tough competition for its locally made cars as ther reason behind its decision to scale back production at its Elizabeth plant in South Australia, resulting in the loss of about 30 jobs within a month.
In a statement issued to GoAuto, Holden said that the impact will be limited to contract workers and no full-time staff will be affected.
“Fragmentation and competition across the entire automotive industry continues to place pressure on locally built models,” the statement read.
“As a result, it is necessary for Holden to re-rate its Elizabeth facility’s production from 310 cars per day to 290, effective March 2. This move will better align production with demand and support our plan of continuing to build world-class cars in Adelaide until the end of 2017.
“There will be no reduction to full-time staff numbers but a small number of contract-labour workers will be impacted. We appreciate the effect decisions like this can have on employees and we’re taking the appropriate steps to manage and support staff.”
The statement comes after Holden executive director of corporate affairs George Svigos told press last week that staff losses would occur as the company reduced scaled back production in the lead up to end of manufacturing in 2017.
“It’s no secret we are phasing down manufacturing over a number of years and there will be different lots of redundancies over certain periods in response to market demand,” he said.
“We are also in discussions with government and other agencies, and are ensuring that whenever that happens for our employees that the right supports are in place for them to help them transition to new roles or new jobs in the economy."Holden’s VF Commodore along with its Cruze sedan and hatch are built at the Elizabeth facility.
While the Cruze was Holden’s best-selling model last month with 1870 units, sales of the small car in 2014 fell by 24 per cent compared with the previous year.
Last year 30,203 Commodores were sold – an 8.8 per cent increase on 2013’s total. January, however, saw Commodore sales take a 24.5 per cent dip compared to January in 2013 with 1784 sold.
7th of February 2015
GM names Aussie as new Holden chiefGeneral Motors has appointed Australian Mark Bernhard as Holden’s new boss
6th of February 2015
Holden to launch 24 new models in five yearsBarina Spark replacement locked in for Q1 next year as new Captiva looms
4th of February 2015
VFACTS: SUVs keep market steadyPassenger sales drop in January as Europeans and SUVs continue growth spurt
6th of November 2014
VFACTS: New-car market slips as Holden slidesGM Holden takes big hit in October sales as Subaru and Mercedes-Benz soar
1st of May 2014
Holden to keep its proving ground, rebadge Opel carsGM hangs on to Holden’s proving ground as covers come off lion-badged Opel line-up
Share with your friends
Motor industry news