Car reviews - Volkswagen - Golf - DSG
The smooth, practical, good value VW Golf Cabriolet ticks almost all the boxes
27 Apr 2012
THE Volkswagen Golf hatch range is one of the most accomplished small cars available on the market – regardless of price.
Thankfully, these talents carry over to the soft-top Cabriolet introduced in November last year. It may not have the slick folding glass roof of the bigger VW Eos, but it is impressively short on compromises and impressively long on talents.
Smooth, (mostly) refined, practical and good value, the Golf ticks almost all the boxes and adds a dash of Euro cachet sure to appeal to a wide range of buyers.
Model release date: 1 November 2011 to 1 June 2016
Mk4 Golf CabrioletReleased:
March 2003Family Tree: Golf
DON’T be fooled by the ‘Mk4’ prefix – the last Golf Cabrio was based heavily on the Mk3 Golf body and platform released in 1993, and even used many the same drivetrain offerings.
Only the nose, tail-lamps, bootlid and some interior fittings were updated to make the old-timer look more like the high-flying contemporary hatch.
Two petrol-powered models were sold in Australia from late 1998, the CL with a 66kW/145Nm 1.8-litre SOHC four-cylinder unit (discontinued in June 2000) and the more popular GL, employing VW long-lived 85kW/166Nm SOHC engine.
Both were available with four-speed automatic or five-speed manual transmissions.
Click to share
Enquire on or Test Drive a New Golf
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
110 TDI Highline
110 TSI Comfortline
110 TSI Highline
110 TSI Trendline
Alltrack 132 TSI
Alltrack 132 TSI Premium
Alltrack 135 TDI Premium
R Grid Edition
R Wolfsburg Edition 7
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.