Car reviews - SsangYong - Korando - 5-dr wagon range
Ssangyong's make-or-break SUV is stylish, well equipped, with strong diesel
14 Feb 2011
SSANGYONG’S make-or-break Korando compact SUV is a complete departure for the South Korean brand, which has launched itself into the real world with thoroughly modern, more car-like design.
Gone is the rugged and rough body-on-frame construction of previous Korandos, replaced with a modern monocoque body with sleek lines from Italian designer Giorgetto Giugiaro armed with an up-to-the-minute Euro 5 diesel 2.0-litre engine, also from Europe.
With the help of new owner Mahindra and Mahindra – the Indian motor company – SsangYong is going straight to the heart of the fastest-growing market segment, where sales are dominated by suburbanites with a taste for coffee and easy driving.
The question is, will the Korando from one of the smallest car companies on the planet be able to match the competition from the heaviest hitters in the motor industry?
The Road to Recovery podcast series
Model release date: 1 February 2011 to 1 April 2014
June 2007Family Tree: Korando
THE third-generation SsangYong Korando – a re-working of the second generation – reintroduced the Korando nameplate to this country in May 2004 as the Korean brand made yet another foray into the Australian market.
, , Available in both hardtop and soft-top variants, the Jeep-like three-door Korando came with just one engine option – a 2.9-litre 88kW/258Nm five-cylinder diesel from Mercedes-Benz – even though petrol engines were available overseas.
, , The rough-and-ready Korando was renowned for its ruggedness, riding on a tough ladder chassis – a cut-down version of the bigger Musso platform – and no-nonsense, if unspectacular, off-road performance.
, , But, in the end, its lack of on-road sophistication and style overwhelmed its virtues, with the Korando going out of production in South Korea in 2006. Sales of remnant stocks drifted on until 2007 in Australia, before the then importer packed it in.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new Korando
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.