Car reviews - Skoda - Octavia - RS range
Skoda has released a revised Octavia RS - a more affordable competitor for Golf
25 Aug 2009
By LUCIANO PAOLINO
SKODA has not had too much success in Australia so far, but one of its few shining lights has been the Octavia RS, a Golf GTI-style package offering more space, a more supple ride and the sort of cargo-carrying capabilities that would make owners of medium-sized cars envious. It’s also softer and more refined than the sizzling Volkswagen hot hatch, but that’s no bad thing for the more family-focussed demographic that Skoda hopes the facelifted version will lure. We reckon the MY09 Octavia upgrades have what it takes to increase the Czech firm’s market share.
Model release date: 1 August 2009 to 1 October 2013
Skoda Octavia RS Series 1Released:
July 2009Family Tree: Octavia
SKODA returned to the Australian scene with the Octavia small car and oddball Roomster, err … thingo, in 2007, and since then has found the going tough. But the RS – in five-door Liftback and wagon guise – quickly found a niche, thanks to a roomy and well-made interior, subtle yet sporty exterior, and a cracker of a petrol engine in the shape of the 147kW/280Nm 2.0-litre TFSI turbo four-cylinder unit from the iconic Golf GTI. Furthermore, the little VW donated its sophisticated chassis (but not in full-fat GTI form), meaning that the Octavia RS provided drivers with something fun to really sink their chops into. Six-speed manual and VW’s dual-clutch DSG gearbox further underlined the Skoda’s appeal. In January 2009, a fabulous diesel was added, delivering 125kW and 350Nm of effortless torque, adding even more spice to one of this country’s most underrated sporty small-car buys.
Click to share
Enquire on or Test Drive a New Octavia
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
110 TSI Sport
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.