Car reviews - Porsche - 911 - Carrera 4S coupe
8 Aug 2002
FEATURING the same all-alloy 3.6-litre flat six that appeared across the 911 range when it was facelifted in August, 2001, the C4S produces a healthy 235kW at 6800rpm and a muscular 370Nm of torque at just 4250rpm - figures that are more often associated with a V8 than a six-cylinder. The updated 3.6 is itself a development of the first liquid-cooled 911 engine that appeared in the current, 996 version in 1998. Apart from benefiting from a 200cc increase in displacement, the new engine also features the Turbo's VarioCam Plus variable valve timing technology, the "Plus" part of which adds variable inlet camshaft timing to an already clever induction equation. In effect, VarioCam Plus provides low valve lift for part-load city traffic situations and high valve lift - said to deliver three times as much torque for maximum performance. The proof is in the driving: the new 3.6 is even more flexible than before, operating with impressive thrust over a rev range from around 1000rpm to almost 7000rpm. Combined fuel economy remains a respectable 11.4 litres per 100km, which is said to be a seven per cent improvement on the less powerful 993-series 3.6-litre engine. While top speed remains an impressive 280km/h, 0-100km/h acceleration is slightly down on the standard 911, due to the heavier drivetrain, at 5.1 seconds.
The Road to Recovery podcast series
Did you know?Production of the all-new Porsche Boxster mid-engined roadster started in 1996 after only three-and-a-half years of development, while the all-new 911 with liquid-cooled engine was launched globally in 1997
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new 911
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Carrera 4 AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4 AWD Coupe
Carrera 4 GTS
Carrera 4S AWD Cabriolet
Carrera 4S AWD Coupe
Carrera S cabriolet
Carrera S Coupe
Targa 4 GTS
Turbo S Exclusive
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.