Car reviews - Nissan - Navara - ST-R TDi dual-cab utility
28 Jul 2003
THE NAVARA ST-R 4x4 dual-cab is now offered with Nissan's ZD30 diesel engine.
The turbo-assisted inline four-cylinder uses a double overhead camshaft, 16 valves and direct injection to produce 110kW of power at 3400rpm and 314Nm of torque at 2000rpm.
The engine accelerates freely to produce peak power and there is plenty of torque down low for pulling a trailer or carrying a large payload.
The engine starts easily from cold, with a quick pre-ignition glow period, and is smooth enough once you get up and running. However, it produces plenty of growling and rattling as you work through the gears with a necessary short shift.
Nissan has satisfied plenty of buyers of the ZD30 in the larger Patrol wagon since its release in the GUII in April 2000 and we suspect those that have heavy work in mind for the Navara will find it suitable.
A side effect of its impressive torque, however, is that driving while unloaded can become a somewhat jerky experience thanks to the sudden nature of the turbo's boost. Indeed, unloaded driving is much smoother in the VG30 3.0-litre V6 version of Navara, despite the fact there's 66Nm less torque.
No official fuel economy figures are available for the diesel engine but our test vehicle returned approximately 12.0L/100km on a city cycle.
Did you know?The fuel tank capacity of the ST-R is 75 litres, while Nissan's warranty on the Navara range is three years or 100,000km
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new Navara
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
DX Single Cab Chas 4x4
RX 4X2 Dual Cab Pick Up
RX 4X4 Dual Cab Pick Up
RX Dual Cab Chas 4x4
RX King Cab Chas 4x2
RX King Cab Chas 4x4
RX King Cab Pick Up 4x4
RX Single Cab Chas 4x2
RX Single Cab Chas 4x4
SL 4X4 Dual Cab Pick Up
ST 4X2 Dual Cab Pick Up
ST 4X4 Dual Cab Pick Up
ST King Cab Pick Up 4x4
ST-X 4X2 Dual Cab Pick Up
ST-X 4X4 Dual Cab Pick Up
ST-X King Cab Pick Up 4x4
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.