Car reviews - Mercedes-Benz - S-Class - sedan range
New engines, better economy and safety reinvigorate big Benz
23 Feb 2011
IT MAY not be the newest rich kid on the block, but the latest big Benz limousine is by no means lost among its newer and flashier rivals, thanks to a heart transplant of Phar Lap proportions.
Along with added safety features and fresh personalisation options, the W221 S-class suddenly seems like the standard of the segment again, with impressive performance and efficiency gains.
They are enough for most people to overlook the now-slightly dated interior.
Better still, the volume-selling S350 V6 petrol is no longer the poor relation since it now moves like you expect a Mercedes flagship would – effortlessly.
But why buyers would choose that over the stronger and far more economical BlueTec diesel – Australia’s first Euro-6 emissions-meeting vehicle – is beyond us, since that also happens to be the cheapest.
The Road to Recovery podcast series
Model release date: 1 February 2011 to 1 October 2013
February 2011Family Tree: S-Class
MERCEDES-BENZ released a revised version of its ninth-generation S-class sedan in Australia in late 2009, featuring small visual titivations, a cabin material upgrade and more standard features.
While there were no mechanical changes, minor modifications to airflow and other efficiency helped to improve fuel economy, while Daimler added more safety features.
Engine choices are as before, which means the volume-selling 200kW/350Nm 3.5-litre V6 petrol, 173kW/540Nm 3.0L V6 CDI diesel, 285kW/530Nm 5.5L V8, and 386kW/630Nm 6.2L V8 S63 AMG, and all tied to a 7G-Tronic seven-speed automatic gearbox.
There were also a pair of V12/five-speed auto combinations – the 380kW/830Nm 5.5L S600 L and the range-topping 450kW/1000Nm 6.0L S65 AMG. These – along with all W221s slated for Oz – are rear-wheel drive.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new S-Class
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
S63 AMG LWB
S63 AMG SWB
S65 AMG LWB
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.