Car reviews - Mazda - Mazda3 - sedan/hatch range
The facelifted Mazda3 gets improved driving refinement and class-leading economy
28 Sep 2011
MAZDA has opened a window to its future with the addition of SkyActiv powertrain technology in a new variant of the freshly facelifted Mazda3.
Boasting fuel economy of 6.1L/100km, the 2.0-litre direct-injected Mazda3 SP20 SkyActiv tops its class as a fuel miser, at least among the petrol breed.
A more refined driving experience is a bonus in the new range, in which most models carry over the previous generation petrol and diesel engines.
Mazda has added a little spice to the mix by chopping prices and adding value, such as alloy wheels as standard on the entry-level Neo that now awaits customer pleasure in the showroom with a $1000-cheaper $20,330 price tag.
The SP20 SkyActiv sits mid-range, aimed at small hatch buyers who care about how much they spend at the pump – and how much CO2 they pump into the atmosphere – but do the fuel-saving measures squelch the cheeky Mazda3’s driving appeal?
Model release date: 1 September 2011 to 1 December 2013
Mazda3 BL Series IReleased:
September 2011Family Tree: Mazda3
THE second-generation Mazda3 did not mess with the formula that helped the first-gen BK model to new levels of sales excellence for Mazda in Australia.
Revised drivetrains, better safety – including electronic stability control for all models – more convenience features, improved driving dynamics and greater refinement were all part of BL-series Mazda3 picture.
The 2.5-litre SP25 replaced the SP23 of the previous range, while the flagship turbocharged MPS arrived a few months after the 2.0-litre petrol cooking models in 2009, followed in 2010 by the first Mazda3 diesel.
Slightly bigger than the first generation, the BL was again offered in sedan and five-door hatch body styles, all built on Ford’s C1 small-car architecture.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new Mazda3
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Maxx Sport hatchback
Neo Sport hatchback
Neo Sport sedan
SP25 Astina 2.5l
SP25 GT 2.5l
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.