Car reviews - Mazda - Mazda3 - Neo 5-dr hatch
The Mazda3 has a big reputation to uphold, but is the latest '3' up to the task?
8 May 2009
MAZDA has been supplying Australians with class-competitive – and occasionally segment-leading – small cars since the 1960s, so it is no surprise that the Mazda3 is one of our top-selling private purchases. Even from before the days of the old 323, this has been a classic case of ‘if you are on a good thing, stick to it’. Now, Mazda seems to have taken that mantra to heart, because the new-generation, BL-series Mazda3 is simply more of the same, but (mostly) better. Here it is, tested in volume-selling base-model Neo guise.
Model release date: 1 April 2009 to 1 September 2011
Mazda BK Mazda3 Neo/Neo Sport Series IIReleased:
April 2009Family Tree: Mazda3
MAZDA kept the pressure on rival small cars with the facelifted version of its all-conquering Mazda3 in the middle of 2006, ushering in a minor front and rear facelift, slightly better equipment levels, and the same keen pricing. The 2.0-litre MZR four-cylinder petrol engine’s power rose slightly, from 104kW to 108kW, while torque snuck up 1Nm to 182Nm, while gearbox choices continued to be a five-speed manual or four-speed automatic. To prepare the Mazda3 for run-out, Neo was replaced by Neo Sport from March 2008, and this saw the inclusion of alloy wheels, power windows, electric mirrors and some trim changes.
Click to share
GoAuto can help you buy a new Mazda3
Customer Terms and Conditions – New Car Lead enquires
This is an agreement between GoAutoMedia Pty Limited ACN 094 732 457 of PO Box 18, Beach Road, Sandringham, VIC, 3191 (“we/us”), the owner and operator of the GoAuto.com.au website (“the website”) and the person wanting GoAuto.com.au to provide them with a lead for the purchase of a new car (“you”).
By completing a New Car Lead Enquiry, you agree to the terms and conditions and disclaimers and acknowledge the policies set out below.
Terms and Conditions
- In order for us to effect a lead you must you must complete a New Car Lead Enquiry (“Enquiry”).
- We will call you as soon as possible after you complete the Enquiry and certainly no later than the next business day. When we call, we will discuss with you your new car requirements.
- You consent to our passing on the Enquiry and your requirements to an appropriate authorised motor car dealer as a lead.
- We will contact you again in approximately eight days following your initial enquiry to check on the progress of the Enquiry.
- While we will provide the dealer with the Enquiry and details of your new car requirements, we take no responsibility for what happens after passing on that material as a lead.
- You acknowledge that we are a new car information service providing new car editorial information, pictures and prices to our customers as a guide only. Any new car prices published on the website are the manufacturers’ recommended retail prices and do not include delivery charges and on-road costs. Any authorized motor car dealer to which we pass on your Enquiry as a lead will provide you with full details of the price at which the vehicle will be sold to you.
- You acknowledge that we do not sell motor vehicles. Any sale of a new car to you by a dealer after we have passed on your Enquiry to that dealer as a lead, is a sale by that dealer not by us.
- We take privacy very seriously. We understand that you will only complete an Enquiry if you can trust us to protect your personal information and use it appropriately. Our policy is to ensure that the personal information collected when you make an Enquiry is only used for the purposes of connecting you with an authorised motor car dealer.
- We do not on-sell information collected from you or any other customer.
- From time to time, we may email you with information or promotions that may be relevant for car buyers. You will continue to receive communications from us unless you tell us that you do not want to receive any advertising or promotional information in the future by unsubscribing from these communications.
Maxx Sport hatchback
Neo Sport hatchback
Neo Sport sedan
SP25 Astina 2.5l
SP25 GT 2.5l
Motor industry news
GoAutoNews is Australia’s number one automotive industry journal covering the latest news, future and new model releases, market trends, industry personnel movements, and international events.